About Us
"Bumpuses t' Home": Dave and Anka aboard SLACKTIDE

Anke (Wagner) and I (Dave Zeiger) live aboard Slacktide, our junk, cat-ketch rigged T26x7.

We Googled, and came up with this:

"Slacktide: Stillness and transition; ambiguous uncertainty; adaptability."

The phrase seems to capture our life's aspirations and ambivalences. Slack tides are important moments for transiting some of the narrows, which can develop wild flow a few minutes either side of slack water.

We're at large among the islands of Southeast Alaska's Alexander Archipelago. Being wind and human powered, sailing, sculling, drifting and idling are important pastimes. When the wind is fair and the tide a'rising, we love to skim the shorelines or thread tiny passages between islets. When at anchor, we while away our days drawing (boats from me, plants and animals from Anke), making music (amateurishly) and exploring realms of the senses.

In port, we love to catch up with friends who live in our network of island communities.

In the long run, we hope to achieve about a 90% subsistant lifestyle. We're trying to solve the starchy carb challenge (not much local bulk). The remaining 10% is composed of exotics, such as chocolate, coffee, eggs and cheeses, wine and spices.

We're hoping to retire soon from the occasional odd job.

You can find out more about our previous boats, including Luna at my brother, Mark's Web site, where he has a section dedicated to us.

Also, here's an article in Duckworks Magazine.

Hear our story on's Podcast.

When one has good wine,
A graceful junk,
And a Maiden's love -
Why envy the Immortal Gods?

— Li T'si Po

follow buttons